- Document Cover
- Summary of recommendations and observations
- The bigger picture: rights and principles
- Policy changes from disability living allowance
- Areas for clarification or review in regulations
- Interface with UK system
- Processes and time limits
- Consistency and coherence
- Concluding remarks
- Annex A: Changes to draft regulations
- Annex B: Timeline of scrutiny
Annex B: Timeline of scrutiny
In both our report on the Scottish Child Payment and our subsequent evidence to the Social Security Committee, we noted our determination to improve scrutiny processes as our experience develops. In practical terms, the draft regulations’ length and complexity, and tight reporting deadlines, made the involvement of people with lived experience impossible. Nonetheless, we were able to carry out some limited engagement with stakeholders and we greatly appreciate their contribution to our drafting of this report. We received written submissions from a few targeted stakeholders and held a roundtable discussion on the earlier draft regulations in January. We later hosted a small roundtable with third sector organisations to explore how we might best meaningfully and inclusively engage with people with lived experience in the future.
We thank Scottish Government officials for providing various briefings and for responding to our written questions.
- 14 August 2019 SCoSS board meeting: Briefing from Scottish Government official on Scottish Government’s Disability Assistance Consultation.
- 19 November 2019 SCoSS board meeting: Informal briefing on a Scottish Government paper on Disability Assistance for Children and Young People from Scottish Government official.
- 12 December 2019: first draft regulations referred to SCoSS by Cabinet Secretary for Social Security and Older People.
- 13 December 2019 SCoSS board meeting: Discussion with Scottish Government official on DACYP draft regulations.
- 30 January 2020 SCoSS board meeting: Roundtable discussion with stakeholders on DACYP draft regulations.
- 7 February 2020: further draft regulations referred to SCoSS by Cabinet Secretary for Social Security and Older People.
- 18 February 2020: Informal SCoSS meeting to discuss draft report