- Document Cover
- Summary of recommendations and observations
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Context: disability benefits for young people
- 3. SCoSS’s report on the Winter Heating Assistance for Children and Young People draft regulations
- 4. Extension of eligibility criteria
- 5. Retrospective awards to young people in receipt of PIP
- 6. Payment to another person
- 7. Time limit for determination of entitlement
- 8. Adult claimants of CDP
- 9. Annex – Scrutiny timeline
Summary of recommendations and observations
Recommendation 1: Following completion of the transition from DLA and PIP to CDP and ADP, the Scottish Government should review passporting arrangements to CWHA, to ensure consistency and equitable treatment of people with the same relevant needs, including specifically with regard to night-time care needs.
Recommendation 2: The Scottish Government should consider whether WHACYP Regulation 4(2) should be amended to ensure young people in hospital are not inadvertently excluded from CWHA.
Observation: SCoSS would welcome an explanation of the rationale for making retrospective awards of CWHA to young people who were in receipt of PIP in September 2020.
Recommendation 3: The Scottish Government should amend draft Regulation 6 so that WHACYP Regulation 5 requires that determinations of entitlement to CWHA be made by 31 December or as soon as reasonably practicable thereafter.